Friday, 14 August 2015

Shaft of light

Fatigue was hot on my trail this morning but I couldn't let it have me. Before my vision would become too blurry I carefully negotiated the sparse county road to a most valuable destination; to spend time with a friend. How wonderful, I made it and still standing, still cognitively behaving. 
My lovely friend welcomed me into her family home and family life. I am so grateful for those beautiful exchanges today and for the wonder of her grandchildren. Children engaged and playing remind us all to just live a little bit more in the shaft of light that is joy. So yes I exchanged my flip flops for a trampoline. How light I felt standing centre, being bounced. The feeling of lightness devoid of additional effort is worth remembering when I next meditate.
I'm sure in the little boys faces I  glimpsed a look of curiosity as their faces reflected  mine lighting up like a Christmas Tree. There is no doubt about it, joy is a most delightful contagion.
For a few moments we passed the time lying beneath the spouting willow, while the sun played hide and seek. We crawled out lazily from the bouncing cocoon and found bees, butterflies, birds nesting and of course, a football. Of course I knew I'd not be able to resist a little game although I did sit down and become a 'watcher', 'audience' 'spectator' yes the words had begun to elude me at this point. My mind like the centre of a beautiful art card, 'left blank for your own message'. I would've laughed but for the arrival of tears leaking out of the corners of my eye. You're right, I told myself (quietly of course) you've had your time and you still need to drive home so although I, the me that is still buried within these layers of symptoms and fatigue did not want to leave. I did leave. Rest is a most demanding companion but I wouldn't be without it just yet. Childlike in many ways, I still find joy in the smallest of things and yes when I'm over tired these days I'm likely to have tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment