I'm not going to moan on about how life is unfair, why can't I run like I used to, why can't I perform my usual multitasking...I'm only 44!
Of course at times I want to scream,'Why me?' but the 'why?' is really not the right question. Take this scenario from the other day I mentioned in a previous post. When heading off for a walk, my left knee gave way and kept giving way on every normal walking leg bend. Although it had never happened on that leg before the question was not 'why?' but 'how?' How can I keep going?
If you can remain calm then anxiety can't creep in and overwhelm you. The element of surprise needs to be your defence. You see, things may take longer, be more tricky. It is not a case of giving in or failing. Using your internal resilience you can find a way to accept what is happening in that moment and react only to that moment. For me, at that moment it meant adjusting my walk. A more important lesson for me personally was about accepting help, literally leaning on my fifteen year old son (support on a downward slope). It was comical and we did laugh. A slow walk home but my knee adjusted and so did I.
Laughter is a great healer
No matter what we are going through, what the illness or situation, if in that moment you are struggling either mentally or physically it's important to make adjustments. Stop!
Think! (Do you really need to be doing those chores right now?)
Listen to your body. (Can you call someone to help or just to listen to you?)
Right now is what counts.
Take care and listen to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment