'Procrastination is the thief of time'
And that is why I believe it's difficult for us previously busy, energetic individuals to pace ourselves. Our mentality dictates that when we are well or have a bit of energy, we should make the most of it and we do! Unfortunately our bodies feel the brunt of it for now.
'Live for today'
Where does that fit in to our recovery schedule of 'pacing' ourselves? Just keep trying...yes, I'm trying, right now you can see I'm resting (almost).
What do you think? Is it hard for you too?
It's an overwhelming time, inconvenient, unpredictable, fluctuating but you know what, no matter how hard it gets, I remind myself that this is my life.
All of us, we still have choices. We can choose how we respond to everything. We have a choice as to how we live each 'well' moment. The difficulties faced are trying to match up our familiar lives (before illness) with our lives now in all their unpredictable glory. Finding that they don't quite go together can create:
Fear
Fear can take over in the dark hours. Will I be able to continue my job, work in the way I'm used to? How am I going to be able to find the energy, maintain my own high expectations of myself and continue to pursue my career? The answer pure and simple is:
Adapt
We will have to seriously consider adapting, even on a temporary basis. We need to listen to our bodies and make that our priority. Just because we no longer fit into a neat box doesn't mean we have to give up. Adapt and survive.
We have an opportunity here!
So...what are we going to do about it?
No comments:
Post a Comment